I am a firm believer in mornings. Even the mornings I’d rather be sleeping, I still manage to get my booty up to embrace the day and get shit done.
My Recipe for a good morning:
- Wake up when the sun wakes up- there is something so magical about rising with the sun. Feeling the first rays of the mornings and listening to the birds chirp is the first thing you have to do in order to feel like a fairy tale princess throughout the day.
- Drink your coffee in peace- can I get an AMEN?!
- Eat a healthy and filling breakfast- A post on my go-to breakfast recipes will be here soon, but until then, I feel like you can never go wrong with an omelette (or as I like to call them, egg tacos), veggie packed hash browns, or a fruity smoothie.
- Listen to a motivational podcast or some fun music to get you in the mood for a productive day while brushing your teeth and doing your hair. A list of my favorite podcasts can be found here (a revised list is coming soon, too!)
- Wake up sleeping toddler and give her a big cuddle and go on with yo bad self the rest of the day
WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE THINGS TO DO TO ENSURE YOU HAVE A GREAT START TO YOUR DAY? I’d love to hear them! Also, if you’re wanting a night time routine post, let me know in the comments!
Get ready guys, because nutritious eating/drinking is my JAM! And I’m about to be sharing quite a few recipes with you in the next couple of months. To kick start it all, I’m sharing a delicious *toddler approved* coconut and blueberry smoothie recipe.
Coconut is my favorite flavor EVER, and Aspen loves Blueberries. So this combination just made sense.
In a blender add:
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
1/2 a banana
1 Tablespoon of unsweetened shredded coconut
1 scoop of an organic and plant based vanilla protein powder (I used Tone It Up Protein)
Blend it all up, split with toddler, and enjoy!
Let me know your favorite smoothie flavors in the comments!
Today’s Coffee Chat is about why I love waking up early, and why you should too!
Waking up early is one of my favorite things about my routine. Aspen typically wakes up aroung 7-8am, but I find it incredibly beneficial to my mental health to start my day an hour or two ahead of hers. So each night, as I set my alarm, I think about what time I want her to wake up and what events we have planned for the day ahead. Depending on the day, I will wake up 1-2 hours ahead of her. Why? So I can have some much needed alone time before waking her up. Here are some of the things I do before getting Aspen out of bed:
- Get ready (aka- brush teeth, do hair, and put on clothes) before the child/anyone wakes up! This is so important, because the moment Aspen wakes up I am resorted to cuddling for the next half an hour.
- Drink a cup of coffee in silence. Oh friends, this is probably my favorite thing in the world. Sipping a cup of joe in silence with no toddler pulling at my clothes, screaming “mommy!” is the most magical part of my morning.
- Listen to podcasts or YouTube videos. I am a sucker for a good webinar or podcast on a subject that I’m interested in. The only time I ever feel that I have for these things are either first thing in the morning or during nap time. So I try to squeeze them in the first part of my day. Next week I will be going over some of my favorite podcasts, so stay tuned!
- Go outdoors! I have a few flowers and herbs in our front yard. There are few things that bring me as much peace as going outside, coffee in hand, as I water or harvest them while the birds chirp. If you have a porch, I suggest you take your breakfast and drink your coffee/OJ while breathing in the fresh air. And if you have not started a small floral or herbal garden yet, I HIGHLY recommend you do so.
I know it is hard waking up earlier than need be, but I promise once you get into the routine it will be well worth it. Just imagine how much more you can get done in your day and how much more you will be motivated it you spent the first hour or two to yourself in peace. I used to wake up right before I was needed at my job or school, but once I started this habit I have felt so much more accomplished and so much happier at the end of the day. And you know what? My family notices too. I find it so important as a mom to have a few hours of silence and a bit to learn or work on projects before our little love wakes up. So tonight, set your alarm for a little bit earlier, and try to stick with it.